LANAP® | Light Dental Studios Implants and PeriodonticsHome / Offices / Light Dental Studios Implants and Periodontics / Services / LANAP®
Over 50% of American adults have gum disease – an infection below the gum line. Gum disease is linked to several health problems – from heart disease, stroke, diabetes and pre-term babies – but only a small percentage of these adults get the treatment they need. Traditional gum disease treatment options involve cutting the gum tissue or extracting the teeth.
The LANAP® protocol uses the specific wavelength PerioLase® MVP-7™ dental laser to vaporize bacteria deep within the pockets of the gums while leaving healthy tissue intact. Patients undergoing this type of treatment enjoy fast healing times and more predictable results. Take care of your oral and total health today.
Benefits of LANAP®
- Faster Healing – LANAP® treatment is minimally invasive and allows the body to recover and heal more quickly.
- Less Discomfort – Patients report less discomfort during and after surgery.
- No Cut, No Sew, No Fear – the LANAP protocol uses laser light energy to eliminate the bacteria that cause gum disease, and help your mouth recover faster
- Minimal Recovery Time – Most patients can immediately return to their daily routine.
- Little to No Gum Recession – Because the procedure doesn’t require cutting the gums, there is less risk of recession and your beautiful smile is maintained.
- Reduction in Gum Inflammation and Bleeding – The PerioLase® MVP-7™ targets inflammatory bacteria without injuring healthy tissue.
- Saves Teeth – Patients can keep their natural teeth sometimes even when the teeth have been deemed ‘hopeless’ with traditional treatments. Keeping your natural teeth has been linked to a longer lifespan!
- Safe for patients with Health Concerns –LANAP® protocol is safe for patients with health concerns such as diabetes, HIV, hemophilia, or those taking medications such as Plavix or aspirin.
- Beyond the Mouth – Gum disease has been linked to several diseases including heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and pre-term birth. In addition, there seems to be a connection between gum disease and breast disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and Alzheimer’s.
- The LANAP protocol is performed with a unique laser, the PerioLase MVP-7, designed with very specific parameters, to maximize treatment effectiveness.
- The LANAP protocol is the only laser periodontitis treatment protocol that is cleared by the U.S. FDA and is clinically and histologically proven to regenerate new gum tissue, ligament, and bone.
Primary Benefits of LANAP® Laser Surgery As Compared to Traditional Cut-And-Sew Surgery
- Less pain
- Less bleeding
- Less sensitivity
- Less gum loss
- Less swelling
- Very little downtime after treatment
- Less Post-op infections
- Promotes regeneration of supporting gum tissues
- Healing is perceived to be faster and more comfortable than conventional surgery
What to Expect: Your LANAP SurgeryLANAP periodontal surgery is a full-mouth procedure usually completed in two 2-hour visits. We complete one side of the mouth during the first visit, and complete the other side on the second visit. Surgeries are usually scheduled within one week of one another. It is common to quickly return to work or other activities.
What to Expect: The First Few DaysYou may experience mild aching, throbbing, and soreness of the treated areas for the first couple days—this can be helped with mild pain medications. The tissue around the teeth may appear discolored. Your bite may feel slightly different, but the teeth will adapt. You cannot brush or floss for the first 7-10 days after treatment, and you will need to follow a liquid or mushy diet. Smoking decreases results for all gum treatments, including LANAP.
What to Expect: Follow-up CareAs the gums heal, the teeth will shift, and your bite will need to be adjusted several times over the coming months. Splints may be fabricated to stabilize and immobilize the teeth. It is important that you wear these splints as instructed to promote healing. Expect to have your teeth professionally cleaned every three months for at least the first year, and then as recommended by your dentist.
Who is a candidate for LANAP laser surgery?Patients with moderate-to-severe gum disease can especially benefit from the LANAP protocol. The LANAP protocol is also an excellent treatment option for patients who are fearful of conventional scalpel surgery and patients taking certain medications, such as blood thinners. With the LANAP protocol, patients do not have to stop taking any medications.
Why is it important to get my gum disease treated?The health risks of gum disease go far beyond the loss of teeth. There is a connection between gum disease and a number of serious medical conditions. People with periodontal disease are almost twice as likely to suffer from coronary artery disease, and have nearly twice the risk of having a fatal heart attack. Gum disease has also been linked to other health problems, including respiratory disease, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, certain cancers, heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, erectile dysfunction, HPV, and pregnancy complications.
Can the LANAP protocol help my loose dental implants?Yes! Using the PerioLase MVP-7, we can often save ailing or failing implants in a similar manner using the LAPIP™ protocol. We use the same laser, but different laser settings and light exposure that will help your implant stabilize while destroying periodontal pathogens and endotoxins.
About Gum Disease
What Is Gum Disease?Gum disease begins when a film called plaque accumulates on the teeth and calcium from saliva hardens the plaque—this calcified plaque is called tartar or calculus. Certain types of germs that live in this plaque and calculus damage gum tissue. Your body tries to fight this infection with an inflammatory attack, sending white blood cells to the area to destroy the bacteria. This inflammation causes the tissue to bleed easily when you brush or floss. This stage of the condition is called gingivitis.
If the infection and inflammation persist the result is a chronic inflammatory condition where, in addition to the gums, ligament and bone around the teeth are destroyed—often with no symptoms. At this stage it is called periodontitis.
Signs/Symptoms of Moderate-Advanced Gum Disease Include:
- Gums that are red, swollen, and bleed easily
- Gums that seem to have pulled away from the teeth
- Bad breath or halitosis
- Pus between your teeth and gums
- Teeth that seem to be loose or moving away from one another
- Change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
- Change in the way your partial denture or implant-supported restorations fit
- Or no symptoms at all!
What Are the Risk Factors for Gum Disease?Well known risk factors for periodontitis include genetics, stress, avoiding the dentist, no brushing or flossing, and some medical conditions. Smokers are significantly more likely to develop gum disease than non-smokers.
It’s not just about your teeth anymore — gum disease has been linked to numerous health problems, with new studies emerging all the time linking oral and overall health.
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Respiratory Disease
- Breast Cancer
- Heart Disease
- Pregnancy Complications
- Kidney Cancer
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Blood Cancer
Address: 220 Lilly Rd NE #A, Olympia, WA 98506
Phone: (360) 459-4800
Monday: 7AM to 4PM
Tuesday: 7AM to 4PM
Wednesday: 7AM to 4PM
Thursday: 7AM to 4PM
We are open one Friday and one Saturday a month. Give us a call to find out specifics.
Our friendly & experienced Lilly Road Olympia dental team can sit with you to go over some of the treatment options you may need. Come visit Light Dental Studios Implants and Periodontics today!
Let's Get Started
What People Are Saying
Who ever thought it would be fun going to the dentist. But when the staff is so friendly and helpful it makes the experience worthwhile. I have been a patient here for over twenty five years for either periodontal work by the doctor or every three months for cleaning. My experiences have all been very positive.
Periodontal surgery is never pleasant. That being said, Dr. Garibov and his staff made me feel comfortable. The environment in the office was always professional and caring! I will continue to use Dr. Garibov for all of my periodontal needs.
I had a wonderful experience with Dr. Garibov and his team. Everyone made me feel comfortable, from front staff to back staff. It was a pleasure being a patient and would recommend this office. Thank you Dr. Garibov and team!
Friendly staff. Professional service.